Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Greek Turkey Burgers

OMG! OMG! OMG!

(that is to let you know how excited I am about this recipe!)

I have been trying to do these recipe blogs in the order that I cook them...
I just could not wait to put this one up!!

I have never, ever used ground turkey... I honestly thought it looked & sounded very unappetizing.
I WAS SO WRONG!

So, if you share those same feelings and don't think you would like ground turkey either...
I am telling you, you should try this recipe! There is so much flavor, it is crazy!

I luckily stumbled upon the blog, www.budgetbytes.blogspot.com and that is where I fell in love with turkey burgers.

Make these Greek Turkey Burgers and maybe you will too!


Drooling... all over again.

Here is what you will need:



  • 7oz. Plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1 medium fresh lemon
  • 1/4 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 tsp dried dill
  • 1.25 lbs ground turkey
  • 6 halves sun dried tomatoes (about 1/4 cup chopped)
  • 1 medium red onion
  • 2 oz frozen spinach (thawed) (about 1/4 cup)
  • 1/4 cup crumbled feta
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/3 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 lg. egg
  • 1 med. cucumber
  • 6 hamburger buns
  • salt & pepper, to taste
First, make the yogurt sauce.

Using these ingredients ^^

Combine the yogurt, 1/4 tsp minced garlic, dry dill, juice of half the lemon and a dash of salt. Stir everything to combine and then refrigerate to allow the flavors to blend while you make the burgers.



Next, squeeze as much moisture out of the thawed spinach as possible (you will be surprised how much juice you squeeze out!! Use a paper towel or a clean kitchen towel, or whatever works best for you!).  Roughly chop the spinach to prevent long stringy pieces.  Also chop the sun dried tomatoes and 1/4 of the red onion.


Now, in a bowl combine the ground turkey with the spinach, sun dried tomatoes, red onion, feta, 1/2 tsp minced garlic, dried oregano, egg, bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp salt and some freshly ground pepper.

(Yes, there is ground turkey in there somewhere!!)

Stir everything until it is evenly combined. 


Shape the mixture into six patties.


Cook the burgers on a counter top grill, outside grill, or a non-stick skillet (or whatever you think would work best for you!).
*I read on this blog that if you don't have a non-stick skillet, you have to use a lot of oil to keep the burgers from sticking! Just so you know!

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!

I cooked SIX burgers on this grill and I was AMAZED that there was not ONE drop of grease (or anything for that matter) in this tray, when I was finished!
Another reason I will be using ground turkey again!

Spread the yogurt sauce on both sides of a bun, add a warm burger and top with thing slices of red onion and cucumber.

You are going to want to scarf this down, without taking breaths but
don't...
Try hard to eat slowly and enjoy each bite :)


(Don't mind the cheap looking paper plate... I was in such a hurry to taste these, I grabbed the closest thing to me!! You're lucky it wasn't a paper towel!)


2 comments:

  1. Yum! Definitely will be trying this one. I have been eating turkey burgers for years, but the recipe is extra special. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete