Once again, another find from Pinterest...
(I'm willing to bet that most of these recipes will be found on that website)
which took me to http://www.emilybites.com/
which is where I found the recipe for the MUST TRY, "Taco Cupcakes!"
Not only are these Taco Cupcakes fun but they taste amazing too!
(and not to mention an easy clean up when all is said and done)
Here is what you will need:
- 1 1/2t chili oil (found near the Asian ingredients)
*I could not find this... it probably was right in front of my face but seriously, never found it. So I just used some Olive Oil... and I don't think I really even needed that!
- 1/2 lb 95% lean ground beef
*We always use ground chicken when it comes to Mexican dishes... No real reason other then the fact that we prefer the taste! Use either or, it will still be tasty!
- 1 T taco seasoning
- 3/4 c canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 wonton wrappers (found in the produce section)
- 5 T + 1t of queso dip or salsa con queso
- 1 c chunky salsa
- 1 c reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese
- Guacamole for serving
When looking at these ingredients, you may notice that I have no queso dip...
I apparently thought I only needed Guacamole (which is a garnish to top the taco cupcakes).
So when I realized I needed some sort of cheesy substitute, I searched my pantry/fridge for anything that would work.
This is all I came up with.
Do not judge me.
Although this canned cheese substance has zero healthy ingredients,
the recipe only calls for about a tsp per "cupcake" so with that being said...
I didn't feel completely guilty! ;)
Before we get started I just want to mention that I did not use the recommended measurements on any ingredient. I used a whole pound of ground chicken and the whole pack of taco seasoning and the whole can of beans. (I just saved the leftover meat mixture for taco's) So don't feel like you need to use exactly what is stated in the ingredients list. Just use your best judgment and don't pack 'em too full!
So, let's get started!
- First, pre-heat the oven to 375. Lightly mist 8 cups in a muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat chili oil (or Olive oil) in a saute pan or large skillet over medium-high heat, add the ground beef and taco seasoning and brown beef, breaking it with a spoon. Add black beans and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes until warm.
3. Push a wonton wrapper into the bottom of each of the eight sprayed cups in the muffin tin. Spoon a teaspoon of queso dip into each wonton wrapper and spread across the bottom.
See, easier then it sounds!
Follow by spooning some of the meat/beans mixture into each cup (I would say about two teaspoons) and then spooning a teaspoon or so of salsa on top of that. Sprinkle a pinch of the cheese evenly over the top of each cup.
Salsa and Cheese
Now do it all again, one more time!
Press another wonton wrapper on top and repeat the layering steps with the remaining ingredients.
Just press around the edges, as if you are putting on the top of a pie.
This is what it looks like before you pop it into the oven!
4. Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from muffin tin
Look at that crunchy, cheesy goodness!
Add a little bit of guacamole (or sour cream if you prefer)
Seriously, you will SO enjoy these!
(and I have to say, if I would have left that "queso cheese substitute" out... it would not have tasted the same!)
I highly recommend you go out and buy these ingredients and make these this weekend!
Out of all the new recipes we have tried this week, this was our FAVE.